These tortillas are made from black corn. The house is full of smoke.
Spanish has a verb for making tortillas: tortillar
Spanish has a noun for the person who makes tortillas: tortillador
Tortillas don't have much flavour - think Doritos without the seasoning.
Process for making a corn tortilla in Guatemala:
- plant the corn
- weed and care for the corn
- pick the corn
- carry the corn
- shuck the corn
- hang the corn
- remove the kernals
- boil the kernals for 2 hours
- grind or pound the kernals with water
- slap the corn paste into tortillas
- cook on stovetop or ceramic dish over an open fire