14.6.07

Kids' Favorite Verses

Our latest mailout to sponsors from their sponsor children was the child's favorite verse. It took a long time to translate the 450 sheets. The younger ones added drawings and the older ones explained why they chose the verse. There were some very funny and very touching verses that I thought I would record here.

There were lots about obeying parents and God such as:
Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord. Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged. (Colossians 3:20-21)

For whom the Lord loves He corrects,
Just as a father the son in whom he delights.
(Proverbs 3:12)
There were those on poverty, like:
Blessed is he who considers the poor;
The Lord will deliver him in time of trouble.
The Lord will preserve him and keep him alive,
(Psalm 41:1-2a)

Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.” (Acts 3:6)
Those about judgment such as:
And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, (Hebrews 9:27)
(the accompanying drawing was of Winnie the Pooh)

and the very popular

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (Romans 3:23)
To obscure verses, perhaps open and point), for example:
Now John also was baptizing in Aenon near Salim, because there was much water there. And they came and were baptized. (John 3:23)

Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.” (Matthew 12:12)
And the ones that had special meaning for certain students:
So he said to them:
“Out of the eater came something to eat,
And out of the strong came something sweet.”
Now for three days they could not explain the riddle.
(Judges 14:14)

from 13-year-old Ervin:

Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth
For your love is better than wine.
Because of the fragrance of your good ointments,
Your name is ointment poured forth;
Therefore the virgins love you.
(Song of Songs 1:2-3)

from 10-year-old Jessica whose father abandoned his family to go work as an illegal in the USA nine months ago:

When my father and my mother forsake me,
Then the Lord will take care of me.
(Psalm 27:10)

From 18-year-old Juan:

do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9b)

This is my favorite verse because when I am in a place where there are many guys drinking alcohol and there are people passing in front of them and the drinkers hit them, but when I pass by there, they don’t do anything to me because God is with me always.
The 23rd Psalm was the overall favorite, edging out John 3:16. One boy had this to say about John 3:16:
God loved the world so that the world would love Him. I love Him. God sent His only son to die for us. God gives us eternal life because God loved the world He sent His son so that he who believes will not be lost and have eternal life.
16-year-old Eddie adds perhaps a little more coherence to why he chose John 3:16:
...in my life there have been many problems and temptations, but I remember this verse and I feel that the burden is lifted, to know that God loves me and loves me a lot. He has a hope for my life and also has prepared something for my life.
And for the hasty:
Jesus wept. (John 11:35)

No comments: