11.8.07

Murder: Canada vs. Guatemala



605 people were murdered in Canada last year. That's 1.81 murders per 100,000 people.

5885 people were murdered in Guatemala last year. That's 46.23 murders per 100,000 people.

The difference is primarily due to a culture of impunity in Guatemala. The BBC article says that last year the murder convictions were in the single digits. Murders aren't really even investigated in here. The police, judiciary, and politicians are extremely corrupt. No one has been prosecuted for crimes against humanity from the 36 year civil war in which 200,000 people were killed.

I'm more than apprehensive everytime I visit the capital city. Most of the killing in the Tactic area is revenge or drug related.

If you want to murder someone, come to Guatemala.

I guess that's what you get when you put a gun on your national flag.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea; maybe an inkling as I have thought of most of those places south of Texas to have corrupt judicial systems and not investigate properly, but the statistics, I didn't know. It is a sad situation to be sure.

Anonymous said...

Im getting more and more uneasy. I'm glad that you don't live in Guatemala City....and most of the murders are drug or revenge related in Tactic.....just don't get anybody mad.

much-ado said...

Ya something about a gun on your flag has an interesting tone to it doesn't it? At least its better than one of the African countries (Mozambique I believe) whose flag bears an AK-47 on it. I wonder what that says about the country?

Zaak said...

Last week there were 5 murders in Tactic. Two of them were revenge for one of the previous ones.

Steffi said...

That´s not a good statistic and sounds terrible!