I have to say that ever since having joined Ubuntu about two years ago, I have been impressed at how intentional the group has been in:
- honouring the people of Kamenzi
- maintaining the relationships formed in 2009 when we sent a small delegation to Malawi
- allowing the community in Malawi to manage the development
- communicate the needs of the Kamenzi communities to our church
- raising funds for the projects
The Ecosan Latrine provides a two-fold benefit to a household in Malawi. First, it improves sanitation by reducing risk of air and waterborn disease as it properly disposes of waste matter. Second, the latrine processes the waste in 6 month intervals (alternating between two holding tanks) into nutrient rich fertilizer which eliminates the need for purchasing increasingly more expensive potash based fertilizer.