24.2.15

Cellulitis and Me



I have been brought low by bacteria again. This time it's a little pathogen genus called staphylococcus. It erupted from a little cut in my ear. I woke up suddenly at 2:30 AM to striking pain on my right ear and neck. Because of where the infection set in, it is called cellulitis. Don't google images of cellulitis.



Foolishly, I went into school that morning (it's always easier to go in than call a sub). I was then sent home at noon as I was green, had the chills, was nauseous, and the right side of my head was bright red. I saw a doctor who prescribed some strong antibiotics (Cephalexin 500 mg) to take 4 times daily. I stayed home for the next two days.



When I went for my return visit to a doctor 48 hours later, she noted that things had not improved, so I was abruptly sent to emergency.



The infection had spread to a greater portion of my face and my ear became more chimplike and stiff, stiff, stiff. In the night I would completely drench my sheets and clothes with sweat. During the day, I was weak. I couldn't chew because of the pain in my jaw and I could only open my mouth about 1.5 cm.



At the hospital, I was given an IV (my first ever!) of the same antibiotic and referred to a clinic at the hospital which deals specifically in infectious diseases. I visited the clinic the next morning and was given a second IV, assessed and told that my improvement was imminent if I continued with the oral pills I was originally given.

3 comments:

kevininspace said...

Get well soon!

Unknown said...

Did the swelling go down in your ear? Mine is currently huge and looks like dumbo/a boxer... day 2 oral antibiotics with no result as of yet. Follow up today.

Zaak said...

Hi Melanie,

Yes, it went down after about 4 days on antibiotics. Best wishes!