13.1.15

Doll Bed for a Little Mama



My daughter Acadia drew her cousin's name in the Christmas gift draw. We decided that we (I) would build her a little bed for a doll and we could paint it together. I bought and cut the wood necessary for two little cribs and kept one set for Acadia as a gift. We assembled the first one for my niece and immediately Acadia began using it with her doll, Emma. We found her one afternoon curled up next to her doll with just the lights from the Christmas tree.



Acadia chose pink to paint her cousin's bed and she did a great job painting it. We painted some purple stars on the head and foot boards.



Christmas morning, my niece put her doll right into the new bed. Acadia got 5 pieces of cut wood tied together with a bow. I could see she was glad to have her own now that she was giving up the one she used most of December.



Together we assembled, puttied, sanded, then painted hers pink too. Acadia chose a font for the word LOVE and requested a couple hearts for the footboard. I painted the words and hearts with a tiny paintbrush.

This project/gift reminded me of a Christmas gift my father made for me when I was 5 or 6. He made a couple wooden trucks. Sadly, these burned in a house fire a year or two later. They were really quite nice as he is a real craftsman.

2 comments:

Debby said...

That was such a cool idea for a gift and something that you and Acadia could do together...SWEET photos (especially of her sleeping next to her baby doll) I love her down to earth toys and things she enjoys playing with...I have a tour of the toys every time I visit....
I have a photo of the truck Papa made if you want a copy :)

Zaak said...

Yeah, it was a lot of fun to do together too.
I'd love that photo of the truck. I'll grab it from you next time we're up in Red Deer.